One of the foremost names in World Devotional music, Donna De Lory illuminates the blissful heart of electronic dance grooves on her magical new release, Universal Light: Remixes from The Unchanging + Bonus Tracks.
“I have been dancing as long as I can remember,” Donna says. “When I was very young, my older sister used to dress me up in beads and a tutu to dance to Beatles records. I felt great release in dance and movement. As a teenager, my brother and I used to play 12 inch dance records and practice our moves in the basement of our house. Years later, when I had finished my CD Bliss in 2000, I heard that Gabrielle Roth and other trance dance leaders had been playing my music for their movement workshops and events. I began to discover a new world of global rhythms and practices that enable people to free themselves through movement, creating a union of mind, body and soul. Inspired by the yoga and conscious dance movement, I wanted to make music that lifts people’s spirits, bringing them more joy to celebrate life, to find their own freedom and express what a miracle they are.”
Universal Light expansively realizes that vision, partnering Donna with cutting-edge remix, trance and downtempo luminaries Carmen Rizzo (Coldplay, Seal, True Blood), Rara Avis (Shiva Rea, Jai Uttal), David Starfire (Skrillex, Deadmau5, Lucas Films) Atom Smith (Return of the Living Dead, Rave to the Grave, House M.D.), Freq Nasty, Drumspyder, Willie Lewis, Eastern Sun and longtime De Lory collaborator Mac Quayle (American Horror Story, Madonna, Annie Lennox, Sting, Christina Aguilera). The result is a set of tracks that transform much-beloved songs from Donna’s 2014, masterpiece, The Unchanging—grounding them in earthy, deep trance grooves while moving the body into the rapture of divine dance.
“I created this remix album to capture the experience of my live performances,” she says. "They have grown more celebratory over the last few years, with trance dance and ecstatic beats. Like yoga practice, dancing is a way for us all to go within, connect with our strength and experience our souls’ freedom.”
1. Om Tare Tuttare (Atom Smith Mantra Flow Remix)
2. Gayatri Mantra (Carmen Rizzo Electronic Chill Remix)
3. The Offering (Drumspyder Mantra Dance Remix)
4. Praying For Love (Rara Avis Yoga World Beat Remix)
5. Amma (Carmen Rizzo World Dance Remix)
6. The Unchanging (Atom Smith Chill Yoga Flow Remix)
7. By Your Grace
8. Gayatri Mantra (Willie Lewis Electronic Yoga Remix)
9. Jai Mata Kali (David Starfire, Freq Nasty, Dub Kirtan Allstars Mix)
10. Om Namah Shivayah (Ecstatic World Beat Mix)
11. Amazing Grace (Eastern Sun Yoga Chill Remix)
12. Luciana (Willile Lewis Ambient Chill Remix)